Monday, May 24, 2010

The Nameless Ones become "The What?"

Back at school in 8th grade,Paul, ever the instigator found some more guys for us to play with: Jim H(bass player, I was playing lead); John, guitar; and Jim S., vocals.

We started rehearsing at Jim H's house. His step father was a professional bass player, the first real picker I knew. He let us use some of his gear and would hang out when we were rehearsing and would smack Jim with magazine when he messed up. With Dad's direction we learned a bunch of tunes he knew by Jerry Lee Lewis and maybe some Elvis. I remember being in the car when Jim's Mom dropped him off at a North Sacramento dive bar for his gig. One time they took us to Travis AFB where his friends Sandy and the Showcase where playing at the NCO Club. We got to listen to a set then get up and play a couple tunes. What a thrill!

Now we just needed a name. Our first draft was The Nameless Ones but after seeing the Who on TV we changing the name to "The What?" and got some business cards made. Apparently we had identity problems.

I don't remember a lot of gigs, but we did play a school dance on a bill with the Transients, the the other band at school. They inherited the name from one of the better bands in the neighborhood who just changed their name to The Working Class. I remember them kicking our butts because they were playing a lot of hip stuff like Secret Agent Man and Keep On Running.
We were hopelessly behind the times playing Great Balls of Fire.

We entered a battle of the bands and made it out of the first round. We got to go to an agent's office and have our picture taken. When it came time for the second round my guitar quit working just as we hit the stage and our set was just a disaster.

I got a call the next day and the band imploded amongst great finger pointing. Now that could have been a wake up call, if I realized at the time that all this stuff was show biz as usual, I might have made an informed decision to find another life path.

Probably not!!!!!!!!!!!!


3 comments:

  1. We may have "kicked your butts" but if it wasn't for Rex Stenzel we wouldn't have been half the band we were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't that the truth. Rex was freakishly talented as was Robert Schwartz. I grew up thinking I was retarded because I didn't have perfect pitch.

    I have encountered Rob Francisco quite few times at jam sessions. He seems to be doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know who you are but my search for Rex Stenzel led me here, where I find the Transients/Working Class mention, plus Rob Francisco. Very interesting - I'd love to swap stories. Thanks.
    HJ
    jttiweh AT gmail

    ReplyDelete