Sunday, May 2, 2010

Blast from the past- Kairos Coffee House

The other day I went to visit my folks. They still live in the house I grew up in. Driving through the neighborhood always gets the memories flowing. I will do a continuing series of full blown flash backs from time to time.

I drove by Congregation Beth Shalom, obviously now a synagogue, but in the years 67-71
it was Kairos Coffee House, our own slice of Haight St style weirdness right in the middle of suburban Carmichael.

In 67, a couple guys convinced the pastor of this church, United Church of Christ or some such thing to open up in the evenings to have a little coffee house type scene up in what i guess was the cry room.

My friend Paul said to me "hey I found this coffee shop where we can play". So we went over and climbed the stairs. We walk in and there is a a tiny bandstand with the Samuels brothers playing their guitars. A half dozen spool tables were full of earnest college students mostly discussing art, politics, sex,dope what have you..

I say to Paul:" Eff you man, this is a coffee house not a coffee shop."

So I started goin there every night they were open, 3 or 4 times a week. As time went by the coffee house grew and the church shrunk.Pretty soon when it was open it took up the whole building. We had bands playin on the pulpit and we used the former cry room to project San Francisco style lights shows above the band.

Things got weirder and weirder, street people taking refuge from Haight St would hang around and prey on the sheltered hippie kids, tons of dope (weed and acid) were around. A lot of bona fide mentaly ill people hung around, which we we endlessly romanticized.

Some of my first gigs happened there. early on it was a folk concert with the folkies I played with Ethnic Soul, then rock bands. I remember playing there the night Jimi Hendrix died. As my band (Buckwheat) got better and better we played more visible gigs there, opening shows and headlining.

The amazing thing is that this wide open scene, basically unsupervised ( the inmates ran this asylum for sure) lasted for 4 years or so. I remember the county sheriffs raided one time. Or county sheriff was totally obsessed with hippies and his cops were charged with keeping us in line. I remember going out each night with the expectation of getting jacked up and I usually did.I remember the cops had dossiers on us. When the cops did raid (only one time I remember)the toilets got clogged for a week from people flushing their stash.

These days a scene like that would last maybe a week, maybe a few hours. But we were different. I don't remember any violence, not even a fist fight, let alone the shootings that are common now when teenagers party.

4 comments:

  1. What a scene you've described, jrl. Do you know if anyone photo-documented? Images would be amazing.

    judih

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judih, a good question. I would love to see some pics. I know that some folks have had more than one Kairos reunion, but I never was in that loop for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to hang around Kairos coffee house too. I remember it being a crazy scene with people being pretty high. I was quite young, maybe 15 or 16, and started getting into drugs a little bit at that time. I remember a guy named Yorgy (George?) carving a moon on the ceiling of the upper part of the church. It was cool! The place got crazy when this guy (former monk) started telling every one he was Jesus!
    I also remember Rex Stenzel, who also made me feel musically retarded. (I guess he couldn't help it, he was pretty advanced.) I wish I hadn't let him discourage me and stopped trying to learn to play music. Been back at for about 11 years now- playing fiddle, a little guitar, and singing. It has been a journey. I talk to Rex now and then and worry about him too. I wonder if you and I crossed paths in those days. Anyway thanks for the nostalgia! I am not sure how I found your post. I will check out more of your posts when I have time. Thanks, Carrie Dye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting about Kairos. I remember Buckwheat! I was a young (14-15yr old) high school student who used to go there with friends whenever we could get away. I remember making donuts and coffee. Also, listening to a lot of music. Craig Chaquico used to play music there. Paul Emery. (maybe that's the Paul you are referring to)? Andy Morin RIP, I believe, helped start the coffeehouse. Lots of good memories. Perhaps someone has photos from that time. It would be great to see them. -David

    ReplyDelete